1. Lundberg GD. Perspective from the editor of JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1992;80(2):110-114.Find this resource:
2. Council of Science Editors. Editor roles and responsibilities. In: CSE’s white paper on promoting integrity in scientific journal publications. http://www.councilscienceeditors.org/services/draft_approved.cfm. September 13, 2006. Accessed January 5, 2007.
3. World Association of Medical Editors. WAME recommendations on publication ethics policies for medical journals. http://www.wame.org/resources/publication-ethics-policies-for-medical-journals. Accessed January 5, 2007.
4. Utiger RD; for the Education Committee, World Association of Medical Editors. A syllabus for prospective and newly appointed editors. http://www.wame.org/resources/editor-s-syllabus. Posted October 26, 2001. Accessed January 5, 2007.
5. Committee on Publication Ethics. A code of conduct for editors of biomedical journals. http://www.publicationethics.org.uk/guidelines/code. Accessed April 10, 2006.
6. Behlmer GK. Ernest Hart and the social thrust of Victorian medicine. BMJ. 1990; 301(6754):711-713.Find this resource:
8. Relman AS. Publishing biomedical research: role and responsibilities. Hastings Cent Rep. May/June 1990:23-27.Find this resource:
9. Schiedermayer DL, Siegler M. Believing what you read: responsibilities of medical authors and editors. Arch Intern Med. 1986;146(10):2043-2044.Find this resource:
10. Bishop CT. How to Edit a Scientific Journal. Philadelphia, PA: ISI Press; 1984.Find this resource:
11. Morgan P. An Insider’s Guide for Medical Authors and Editors. Philadelphia, PA: ISI Press; 1986.Find this resource:
12. Riis P. The ethics of scientific publication. In: European Association of Editors. Science Editors’ Handbook. West Clandon, United Kingdom: EASE; January 1994. Reissued June 2003.Find this resource:
13. Horton R. The rhetoric of research. BMJ. 1995;310(6985):985-987.Find this resource:
14. Sperschneider T, Kleinert S, Horton R. Appealing to editors? Lancet. 2003;361(9373): 1926.Find this resource:
15. Horton R. The Lancet’s ombudsman. Lancet 1996;348(9019):6.Find this resource:
16. Carter R. Ombudsman’s eighth report. Lancet 2004;364(9432):402.Find this resource:
17. Instructions for authors. Arch Gen Psychiatry. http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/misc/ifora.dtl. Updated November 2006. Accessed January 5, 2007.
18. Instructions for authors. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/misc/ifora.dtl. Accessed April 22, 2006.
19. Curfman GD, Drazen JM. Too close to call. N Engl J Med. 2001;345(11):832.Find this resource:
20. DeAngelis CD, Fontanarosa PB. Thank you, JAMA peer reviewers and authors. JAMA. 2006;295(10):1171-1172.Find this resource:
21. Roberts L. The rush to publish. Science. 1991;251(4991):260-263.Find this resource:
22. Instructions for authors. JAMA. http://jama.ama-assn.org/mic/ifora.dtl. Accessed January 3, 2007.
23. Chusid MJ, Casper JT, Camitta BM. Editors have ethical responsibilities, too. N Engl J Med. 1984;311(15):990-991.Find this resource:
24. International Committee of Medical Journal Editors. Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals. http://www.icmje.org. Updated February 2006. Accessed April 10, 2006.
25. Altman DG. Poor-quality medical research: what can journals do? JAMA. 2002; 287(21):2765-2767.Find this resource:
26. Altman DG. Unjustified restrictions on letters to the editor. PLoS Med. May 2005; 2(5):e126.Find this resource:
27. Crossan L. Letters to the editor: the new order. BMJ. 1998;316(7142):1406-1410.Find this resource:
28. Delamothe T, Smith R. Twenty thousand conversations. BMJ. 2002;324(7347):1171-1172.Find this resource:
29. Davies S. Revitalising rapid responses: we're raising the bar for publication. BMJ. 2005;330(7503):1284.Find this resource:
30. Readers Reply submission instructions. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/eletter-submit/160/4/402. Accessed April 22, 2006.
31. National Library of Medicine. Fact sheets: errata, retraction, duplicate publication, comment, update and patient summary policy for MEDLINE. January 21, 2005. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/factsheets/errata.html. Accessed April 22, 2006.
32. Marcovitch H, Williamson A. 1.1.3: Editorial boards. In: European Association of Editors. Science Editors’ Handbook. West Clandon, United Kingdom: EASE; June 2003.Find this resource: